Parents for Safe Child Care

Gracee Gorrebeeck

Daycare Provider Arrested In Death Of Toddler

By Molly Shen

Published: Dec 22, 2004 at 8:21 AM PDT Last Updated: Aug 31, 2006 at 1:49 AM PDT

SEATTLE - A baby girl died at Harborview Medical Center Wednesday, after police say she was abused at an unlicensed daycare in the White Center neighborhood.

23-month old Gracee Gorrebeeck suffered a skull fracture. The daycare provider, Arliss Demaree, 29, cried as she walked into court. At the time, Gracee was still alive, but the outlook wasn't good. Prosecutor Kyle Wood told the court, "What we know about the injuries to the child right now is that there's a skull fracture and a massive hematoma and it's likely the child will not survive."

Demaree ran an unlicensed daycare out of her home. She had five children there Tuesday. Two of them were her own. She was also watching Gracee, Gracee's sister, and a baby boy from another family.

She told detectives she shook Gracee before lying her down for her nap. Later, she couldn't wake the little girl up. Travis DeFries of the King County Sheriff's Department says, "The daycare provider picked up the child and ran to the front door hysterical saying 'she's unresponsive I can't get her to wake up.' The father actually then called 911.


Woman says she shook toddler three times


Published 10:00 p.m., Thursday, December 23, 2004

WHITE CENTER -- The White Center woman arrested on suspicion of shaking to death a toddler in her care told investigators she was trying to get the girl to say her name. Court documents released by the King County prosecutor's office yesterday indicate the 29-year-old baby sitter told detectives that she shook the baby three times. She is expected to be charged Monday.


Enraged woman allegedly shook tot to death

Girl had refused caregiver's request, prosecutors say



Updated 10:00 p.m., Monday, December 27, 2004

A White Center woman became so upset that a 23-month-old girl she was caring for wouldn't say her name, that she shook the child hard enough to kill her, prosecutors said in court papers yesterday.

Arliss Demaree, 29, now faces a charge of second-degree murder in the death of Gracee Gorrebeeck.

According to court papers, about 4 p.m. on Dec. 21, Sean Gorrebeeck, Gracee's father, came Demaree's home to pick up the 23-month-old and an older sister. Demaree came running out of her home with the toddler in her arms, saying that she couldn't wake her up.

Medics tried to revive Gracee as they rushed her to Harborview Medical Center. The girl was taken into surgery for a brain injury and fractured skull, but she died the next day. 


Woman gets 15 years for death of toddler


Published 10:00 p.m., Friday, January 13, 2006

KENT -- A White Center woman was sentenced to 15 years in prison Friday for shaking to death a toddler she was caring for. Arliss Demaree told police she became enraged in December 2004 with 23-month-old Gracee Gorrebeeck because the little girl would not say her name.

Read more... 

Parents for Safe Child Care is a 501(c)(3) non-profit